The Northern Dancer was developed at the urgings of noted Canadian artist Roy Henry Vickers. It is a canoe true to native design, but has been built with modern materials.
The bow and stern of the Northern Dancer are true to time honored First Nations lines and designed by none other than Roy Henry Vickers. The hull was produced by noted Canadian canoe designer James van Nostrand.
The Northern Dancer weighs a fraction of a traditional dugout canoe, and has all the aesthetic beauty of theses national treasures.
The Northern Dancer is manufactured in fiberglass with Kevlar® and ‘S’ glass reinforcing. The unique hull design makes it responsive for as few as 5-6 paddlers while it will handle up to 9 or 10. This canoe has been used extensively on the West Coast, from the Columbia River to Alaska. It is equally at home on large rivers and lakes.
The Northern Dancer is used by numerous outfitters and First Nations groups. We recommend the optional drop center skeg when used on tour with novice paddlers. The skeg increases the initial stability significantly and is easily removed for landing. The addition of the skeg also makes it possible to tack into the wind when sailing.
Large canoes are often referred to as WAR Canoes, particularly in articles written in the early 1900’s. Today we often refer to them as ‘Big Canoes’ encompassing the many 22’+ styles and shapes paddled in North America today.
Options & Features
- Aluminum thwarts for maintenance-free durability
- Seats standard with styrofoam 4.5″ x 10″ to provide maximum flotation
- Center two seats removable for cargo storage
- Fiberglass seat rail for extra strength
- Interior gunnel 1.25″ x 1.25″
- End chambers filled with styrofoam for additional buoyancy
- Hull reinforced with 1/2″ marine structural foam
- Keel line reinforced with Kevlar and s-glass
- Outer gunnel constructed from customized vinyl extrusion for maintenance-free durability.
Note: Voyageur displayed in image.
Please inquire for pricing on these options: Birst Bark Paint, Sail, Drop Skeg, Removable Center Seats.
Max # of Paddlers: 9-10
- Length: 31′
- Beam: 54″
- Bow Height: 50″
- Stern Height: 50″
- Center Height: 23″
- Fiberglass: 430 lbs
- Fiberglass: $10,800 CAD
- Add $525 For Drop Skeg